Layfield has an exciting and rewarding opportunity for a Business Development Manager on our Medical and Specialty Films Sales Team. You are energetic, thrive in a challenging work environment and enjoy being independent. This position can be remote or based in San Diego.
You will report to the Sales Director – Medical and Specialty Films, who is based in British Columbia, Canada.
Layfield’s medical division provides respirators, medical masks and flexible film products for use in medical treatment centers.
Layfield’s specialty products provide high quality barrier films for the meat, cheese and dairy industries.
The Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible for developing, servicing and managing the business needs of Layfield customers in defined market segments to ensure satisfactory achievement of sales and gross profits. This position liaises closely with key divisional staff including customer service, sales, administration, and operations.
Develop Existing Markets for Assigned Product Lines:
- Requires in-depth technical knowledge relating to the services or products.
- Service and sell products to assigned accounts according to agreed sales policies.
- Maintain familiarity with customer’s products to learn potential for Layfield products.
- Develop knowledge of the channels of distribution through which the customer markets his goods.
- Carry out promotional programs, recommend opportunities to improve such programs.
Developing New Customers and New Markets:
- Provide aggressive client prospecting, project tracking, lead generation for segment.
- Communicate required information necessary to open new accounts.
- Perform market research as required.
- Stay on top of all competitive threats, changes, and trends within defined market segment.
- Establish new accounts and market areas through cold calls, mail-outs, etc. for each business unit’s product line and services, following policies and objectives established by the Manager.
- Develop systematic methods of finding own prospect leads and make follow up calls in line with established policies.
- Forward suggestions for possible new products to the Sales Director.
- Represent the company and customers in a professional and ethical manner at all times.
- Keep the Sales Director apprised of activities, including prices, promotional activity, new products, etc. Use account activity reports as necessary.
- Keep price books current and sales literature up to date.
- Develop customer confidence and goodwill.
- May train and at times direct the activities of sales representatives but has no direct supervisory responsibility.
education & experience
- Completion of related post-secondary education in Business / Sales or a combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience in B2B sales.
- Minimum five (5) years sales experience with experience in the sector.
- Work to achieve desired policy and program outcomes, including setting goals and priorities to maximize the use of resources available to consistently deliver results against objectives.
- Match customer requirements to existing products and services and/or design, develop, and customize additional products and services.
- Maintain attention to internal and external customers’ needs.
- Take personal responsibility for continuously raising the standard of customer service.
- Sales experience with a proven track record of success driving sales of products and services.
- High degree of competence in written and oral communication.
- Willingness and ability to travel (60%).
- Proven problem-solving abilities.
- Driven, self-starter with superb interpersonal skills.
- Independent but able to work well within a team environment.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite skills.
what does layfield have to offer?
Layfield is committed to investing in people and creating a dynamic, rewarding employment experience. Layfield offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive Benefits Package;
- 401K Contribution Package;
- Vacation and Sick Leave Benefits:
- You will also have the opportunity to enjoy a number of company events including BBQ’s, Holiday celebrations and more!
- Base Salary $85,000
- Additional compensation – commission, company equipment, home office allowance, vehicle allowance, and fuel reimbursement.