Backround and Challeange
The site’s owner and maintenance manager described the main access point to their plant as a maintenance nightmare. The haul road access point needed to be fixed due to heavy traffic on site and mud pumping from the poor subgrade. The Client had to continually regrade and compact gravel in the area to allow vehicles to pass safely.
Layfield recommended the GEOWEB® load support system to fix the haul roads issue. The local maintenance contractor completed installing Tencate/Mirafi® HP570 high-strength geotextile with the Presto Geoweb® cellular confinement system over the prepared weak subgrade. The GEOWEB® system was deployed and filled with well-graded crushed gravel, then topped with a 25mm crush as a wear surface. This cross-section allowed continuous heavy loads to pass over the subgrade without rutting or deformation.
Ten weeks after the initial installation, the area of concern showed impressive results. The performance of the haul road has dramatically reduced the frequency and severity of maintenance, providing added value to the products in this application. The project owner has been very impressed with the results.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Will reduce the amount of fill needed to support traffic
- Excellent lateral drainage and load support
- Designed to withstand the most challenging site issues
- Efficient and economical for fast-built unpaved roadways
- Creates load support platform from low-quality fill materials
- Adds stiffness and structure to road or pad structures